During the years between SimCity titles, Tropico established it’s own place in the simulation genre with four strong titles. Kalypso Media looks to continue this trend with their newly announced Tropico 5. Take a look at it’s teaser trailer below.
The description of the video also featured quite a few new features for the game. It looks like this title will be far larger than all previous games as well, and seemingly mixing in a few elements from titles like Crusader Kings II, and Civilizations.
• The Eras – Start your reign during colonial times, survive the World Wars and the Great Depression, be a dictator during the Cold War, and advance your country to modern times and beyond. From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities.
• The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed as a ruler, a manager, an ambassador or a general. Dynasty members gain skills and experience based on their individual assignments.
• Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Renovate your old buildings to more efficient modern buildings.
• Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure trade routes to neighboring islands or world superpowers, both for export and import.
• Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
• All new art – All artwork has been re-designed from scratch to provide Tropico 5 with a unique visual identity. Choose from over 100 buildings from each of the individual eras.
• Cooperative and competitive multiplayer — Up to 4 players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can choose to share resources, supplies and population or declare war on each other.
If you want to get into the Tropico franchise now, Tropico 4 is currently on sale on Steam for $7.49. It is a steal at that price. Look for Tropico 5 on PC, Mac and Xbox 360 in 2014.
by, Bobby Marquardt